Sunday, December 9, 2012

Charles Santoso "I try to be in their world"

Charles Santoso is a concept artist and illustrator currently living in Sydney, Australia. During the day he works at Animal Logic as a concept artist/art director. Charles Santoso’s work has been exhibited in Sydney and also internationally in North America and France, his most recent exhibition was the WoodWork Show in Sydney. With tradeyourtalent he speaks about choosing a natural path and why he likes to tell stories with pictures.

Charles Santoso
TYT: Why did you decide to become an illustrator? Could you ever imagine doing something else?

Charles Santoso: I've always loved anything to do with storytelling - especially in mediums such as movies & books . As I realised that I'm better in telling stories with pictures, it was a natural path for me to choose - I also enjoy the process of making images which is a bonus. If for some reasons I have to change my career.. I might still pursue something that has some connections with storytelling and creativity.. maybe sculpting or even try learning how to play with words. Cooking and Coffee making will be the next options after those. :)

Charles Santoso
TYT: What inspires you to your art work? 

Charles Santoso: These days my inspirations are coming mostly from my daily experience. I dug my childhood and past memories whenever I can. Of course I will also include the wonderful artists, writers, philosophers & people that I find interesting. I combine all of these and filter them through my tiny brain.. in the end forming my personal opinions on things. I'll then channel these when I do my works - it might not be clearly visible but it's there somewhere.

Charles Santoso



TYT: The characters you illustrate are very unique. How do you come up with them?

Charles Santoso: Before I start, I usually come up with a story behind them.. even a small event that they are in will be good. I'll then try as much as possible to put my thoughts into their brains and be in their world. When I'm doing it right, the character should start to come up and I can start thinking about the design. So, for me personally, ideas and stories should come first. Of course this is not as easy to do as it might sound. Struggles and frustrations are what usually happen in the process - I get a more rewarding result in the end though.
Charles Santoso
Charles Santoso

Find out more about Charles Santoso
Website
Exhibition "WoodWork Show"

Charles Santoso on Twitter @minitreehouse
Charles Santoso on facebook 



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...